Wednesday, July 16, 2008

IPF Bench Worlds Notes...

Donovan Thompson, IPF Bench Press Worlds TEAM USA Coach on my performance in Prague:

"Byron Nichols was a rookie on the Open World Team, but not a rookie to World competition. He has competed at the Masters Worlds in the past. He decided this year after he made the Open team to skip the Masters to see how he matched up against the big boys. He missed his groove on his 622 opener and couldn't lock out his second at 633. It looked to me like he was getting compressed by the weight. Not that 633 wouldn't absolutely crush me, but I had to say something. I said only one thing, listen for me I will be the one yelling chest up. It worked, he kept his chest up and rammed 633 lbs. to the top. If you haven't seen the picture of him jumping up and down after his third attempt it sums up what the Worlds mean. He was 5th and the happiest guy in the gym. To put it in perspective he could have won Masters Bench Worlds by 30+lbs."

Thanks Donovan, and here's the picture you mentioned:

No comments: